Counseling on Access to Lethal Means (CALM) Training
Time & Location
About the Event
51% of suicide deaths are related to use of firearms.
Research suggests that putting space and time between an individ-ual in suicidal crisis and lethal means can save lives. Therefore, re-moving access to lethal means during a suicidal crisis is key in suicide prevention.
However, the conversation on removing and safe storage can often be a difficult one to have.
In this CALM Training, participants will learn:
- How CALM can help to prevent suicides
- Why it is important to focus on firearms
- How to talk to individuals/families about firearms
- How to talk to individuals/families about other suicide methods
- Review case studies and practice having the conversation